Sunday, April 22, 2012

Raised Bed Assembly

Gorgeous day today! Not too hot and not too cold. Great day for a little gardening! Time to assemble the raised bed frames I purchased yesterday.
These are cedar and very light. I thought I would need a mallet to put them together, but all you need are some very thick and sturdy gloves. Lot's of potential for splinters!
I put it together on my patio thinking I needed a level surface. While the assembly went very quickly on the flat surface, they are pretty flimsy so moving it was a bit precarious. I decided to put the second one together in place of it's final destination.
Initial evaluation of the product is that these are flimsy. If you are not careful, the little end pieces will break. The wood was splintering quite a bit. Maybe it will be sturdier once it is filled with soil. I've seen other kits on-line, but I don't know how much different they are. These were only $35.00 for each kit so I suppose I can't complain too much. They assembled very easily. These two took me less than 15 minutes total to put them together.
As you can see, these will cover our large bald spots in the lawn very well. I've seen these were they were connected side by side unlike my layout. I want to have easy access to every area of the bed so I chose to design mine diagonally. I'll probably put down some rubberized pavers in the corners to help with the mowing. I think I may go ahead and purchase a third bed kit to place on the left side.

Time to go make the soil!

No comments: