Saturday, April 28, 2012

Raised Beds - Assembly Complete!

You're looking at thirty-two cubic feet of potting mix for the two 4x4x8 raised beds!  I actually wound up not need this much for the two beds.  So, I put the two raised bed kits that I had initially purchased around our Purple and Green Ash trees and I used what was left of the potting mix for one of them.

The Purple Ash already had some strawberries growing around it so we'll put the box up and train the strawberries to grow up and out of the box.  For the Green Ash, I planted some Irises that were transferred from my grandmother's garden.  After I planted them, however, I am now wondering if they will get enough sunlight as the Ash is pretty large and provides quite a bit of shade.  I guess time will tell.

Later in the day, I went to Home Depot to get the two other rubber pavers for the walk way.  I made the mistake of looking at their potting mix and found that the same brand and it was several times cheaper than what I purchased it for at the local nursery!  That was rather an expensive hull too!  Here I was thinking I was saving a bit of money by purchasing the already mixed stuff instead of purchasing the compost, peat moss and vermiculite individually and mixing it myself.  I could have saved myself about a quarter of what I spent!  I should've checked the big box stores first.  Oh well, at least I gave it to a local company so that should make me feel better, right?  Oh, and if you're wondering, I wouldn't really recommend this brand.  It stinks like manure!  Hopefully the smell will dissipate after a few days.  Phew!
The finished product!

No comments: